CBD (cannabidiol) gummies have become increasingly popular as a way to take this natural compound derived from hemp. CBD is non-psychoactive and offers various potential health benefits, including reducing anxiety, pain relief, and anti-inflammatory effects. Making your own CBD gummies at home gives you full control over the ingredients and dosage. This allows you to customize the gummies to your needs and preferences.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make CBD gummies.
Choose Your CBD Extract
The first step in making CBD gummies is choosing a high-quality CBD oil or isolate to incorporate into the gummies. You want to look for a reputable supplier that provides lab test results to ensure the purity and potency of their CBD. Some key things to look for when shopping for CBD:
- Full spectrum or broad spectrum oil – This preserves other beneficial compounds from the hemp plant like terpenes and minor cannabinoids. The broad spectrum contains zero THC.
- Potency – A higher potency CBD oil, such as 5000mg, will make it easier to achieve your desired dose per gummy.
- Independent lab tests – Reputable suppliers will provide test results showing the confirmed CBD content and checking for contaminants.
Once you’ve chosen your preferred CBD oil, determine how much CBD you’d like in each gummy so you know how much oil to use. 10-25mg per gummy is typical.
Choose a Gummy Base
The base of your gummies will set their texture and flavor. You can use ready-made unflavored gelatin or pectin for a quicker option. Or make a fruit juice and gelatin base from scratch for a natural alternative. Some popular bases include:
- Unflavored gelatin – Simple to prepare using powdered gelatin and water. It sets firm and has a mild flavor.
- Pectin – Formed from fruit, pectin gives gummies a lighter texture. You can often find pectin powder in stores.
- Fruit juice – Fresh juices like orange, lemon, strawberry, or apple make a tasty base. Heat the juice and mix with gelatin.
- Coconut oil – Refined coconut oil solidifies easily without taste. It’s an alternative for vegan gummies.
Whatever base you choose, prepare it according to the package directions. Heat and stir thoroughly to activate the gelatin or pectin.
Add Your CBD Oil
Once your gummy base has melted and is ready, stir in your preferred CBD oil. Make sure it’s thoroughly combined. The amount of CBD oil you add will depend on the potency and your desired CBD dose per gummy. Start with just a half dropper full so you can gauge the results.
Flavors and Colors
One benefit of making your own CBD gummies is getting creative with flavors and colors. You can leave them plain or add juices, extracts, or essential oils for different flavor profiles. Try tropical flavors like pineapple, strawberry, or lemon. For colors, use natural food dyes or ingredients like beet powder or spinach juice. Just make sure any additions are thoroughly mixed into your gummy base.
Pour into Molds
Pour or pipe your CBD gummy mixture into silicone molds to give them fun shapes like bears, rings, or stars. Work carefully to fill each mold halfway – the gummies will spread as they set. Lightly coat the molds with oil or cornstarch first so the gummies can be removed easily once firm.
Allow Gummies to Set
Leave your molded CBD gummies undisturbed at room temperature or in the refrigerator until completely set. This can take 30 minutes to a few hours. Gelatin gummies will set at room temperature while pectin gummies require refrigeration to firm up. Once ready, carefully remove each CBD gummy from the molds.
Coat with Sugar or Citric Acid
For extra flavor and sweetness, you can coat your CBD gummies in sugar, citric acid, or sour powder once they’re ready. Simply toss the gummies in a bag with the coating of your choice and shake gently to coat. Then spread them on a baking sheet to let any excess coating fall off before serving.
Properly stored CBD gummies can last 1-2 months. Keep them in an airtight container in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight. Refrigeration can also help extend shelf life and keep gummies firm. Discard any gummies that become moldy or otherwise deteriorate over time.
Tips for Making CBD Gummies
Here are some additional tips for successfully making your own CBD gummies:
- Check your gummy recipe carefully for exact ingredient ratios and directions. Precise measuring is key.
- Use a candy thermometer when heating gummy bases. Getting the right consistency ensures proper setting.
- Don’t add CBD oil until your gummy mixture is off heat and begins cooling. High heat can degrade potency.
- Stir thoroughly as you add colors and flavors for even distribution throughout the gummy base.
- Allow gummies to fully set in molds until firm. This prevents sticking and malformed gummies.
- When coating gummies, do a few at a time for best coverage. Return any excess coating left in the bag for reuse.
- Consult federal laws and your local jurisdiction before making CBD products. Regulations vary in terms of CBD legality.
Here are two bonus CBD gummy recipes to help you get started:
Simple Raspberry CBD Gummies
Makes ~25 gummies
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄3 cup raspberry gelatin (or flavor of choice)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 tsp citric acid
- 1 drop red food coloring (optional)
- 1⁄2 dropperful (25mg) CBD oil
- In a small pot, combine water, gelatin, sugar, corn syrup, and citric acid. Whisk thoroughly.
- Heat over medium, stirring frequently, until the mixture comes to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in food coloring.
- Allow to cool slightly then add CBD oil and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Pour into molds and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until set.
- Remove from molds and enjoy!
Strawberry Lemonade CBD Gummies
Makes ~30 gummies
- 3⁄4 cup fresh strawberry juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 envelope (3 oz) strawberry gelatin
- 2 Tbsp sweetener
- 1⁄4 tsp sunflower lecithin (binder)
- 1⁄2 dropperful (25mg) CBD oil
- In a small pot, combine strawberry juice, lemon juice, gelatin, and sweetener. Whisk thoroughly.
- Heat over medium, stirring frequently, until gelatin is fully dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Stir in lecithin and CBD oil.
- Pour into molds and refrigerate 1-2 hours or until completely set.
- Carefully remove gummies from molds to enjoy!
Get Creative with Flavors
Making your own CBD gummies opens up a whole world of flavor possibilities. Get creative with different juice, fruit, and herb combinations. Popular options include:
- Berry medley – strawberry, blueberry, raspberry
- Citrus – lemon, lime, orange
- Pineapple coconut
- Apple cinnamon
- Mixed fruit – pomegranate, peach, cherry
- Chamomile tea with honey
- Lavender lemonade
The flavor combinations are endless when you make DIY CBD gummies. It’s a delicious way to enjoy the benefits of CBD!