THC gummies have become a popular way to consume cannabis edibles. They come in pre-made packages at dispensaries or can be made at home. Making your own THC gummies allows you to control the dosage and ingredients. With a few simple steps, you can make delicious THC gummies right in your own kitchen.
How To Make THC Gummies
- Gelatin, pectin or agar powder – This acts as the gelling agent to give the gummies their chewy texture. Gelatin works best but vegan options like pectin or agar agar powder can also be used.
- Cornstarch – This helps make sure the gummies are set up properly.
- Water or fruit juice – The liquid that will bloom the gelatin and make the gummy base.
- Coconut oil or MCT oil – This is used to infuse the THC into the gummies. You can also use clarified butter or other oils high in saturated fats.
- Cannabis – This can be in the form of concentrate, distillate, infused oil or actual flower. The THC will be extracted from this into the coconut oil.
- Flavorings – Things like fruit juice, citric acid, sorbitol, honey, and maple syrup to make your gummies taste delicious.
- Food coloring and molds (optional) – For fun shapes and colors.
Step 1: Bloom the Gelatin
- Put the gelatin, pectin, or agar powder into a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the water or fruit juice until it thickens and expands. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes to fully bloom.
Step 2: Make the Cannabis Coconut Oil
- Decarboxylate your cannabis if using a flower. This activates the THC.
- Simmer the decarboxylated cannabis in the coconut oil over low heat for 30-60 minutes. This extracts the THC into the oil.
- Strain out the plant material through cheesecloth.
Step 3: Make the Gummy Base
- Pour the bloomed gelatin into a saucepan. Add a dash of cornstarch.
- Over low heat, stir together the gelatin and 1/2 cup of the infused coconut oil until fully dissolved.
- Once dissolved, remove from heat and add flavorings and food coloring.
Step 4: Fill the Molds
- Lightly grease your silicone molds with some cooking spray or oil.
- Use a spoon or dropper to fill each mold with the liquid gummy mix.
- Gently tap the molds against the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Place the molds in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes until fully set.
Step 5: Remove from Molds and Enjoy!
- Once set, remove the THC gummies from the molds.
- Dust them with cornstarch or a coating of your choice to prevent sticking.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Your homemade THC gummies are now ready to enjoy! Start with just a half gummy until you test their potency.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much cannabis should I use?
The amount of cannabis you use depends on how strong you want the gummies to be. For lightly dosed gummies, use 0.5g to 1g of flower per 1/4 cup of oil. For stronger gummies, use up to 7g per 1/4 cup. Start low, test a half gummy and increase as desired.
What is the shelf life of THC gummies?
Properly stored THC gummies will last 1-2 months in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer. Keep them stored in an airtight container away from light and heat which can degrade THC.
Can I make vegan THC gummies?
Yes, simply swap the gelatin for vegan gelling agents like pectin, agar agar or fruit pectin. Use coconut oil or vegetable glycerin instead of butter for the infusion.
What if my gummies didn’t set?
If your gummies don’t set up firm, refrigerate longer or add a bit more gelatin or cornstarch next time. Getting the ratios right may take some trial and error.
How do I store my THC gummies?
THC gummies should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. Keeping them cold prevents the cannabinoids from degrading.
That covers the basics of how to make tasty THC gummies at home! Follow the simple steps and ingredient ratios for potent, long-lasting edibles.